Fermentation Scientist – Bioextrax, Lund, Sweden
Bioextrax is an innovation-based and innovation-driven company using industrial biotechnology to contribute to a more sustainable future. We were originally spun-off from the Department of Biotechnology at Lund University, and are now a rapidly growing publicly traded company.
The core of our business is a biobased platform technology for the hydrolysis of protein-rich materials. This technology has many applications that can contribute to a biobased and circular economy. In particular, we have developed methods to produce biobased and biodegradable polymer polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) and to turn various protein-rich materials such as poultry feathers into valuable materials to be used in feed, textile, and cosmetic applications.
While we are bringing our technologies to the market, we are constantly exploring new ways our platform can contribute to a more sustainable society. Do you want to join us? If so, please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (no personal letter needed, but if you have reference letters available, please include them). We are interviewing on a rolling basis and the position is still open as long as this advert is live.
About the position
We are looking for a Fermentation Scientist to join our team in Lund, Sweden. You will be working closely with our Chief Technology Officer in a creative role where your tasks will range from design and execution of lab/pilot experiments to the exploration of new applications for our bio-based technologies. You will be responsible for process conceptualization and definition of new processes and the development and testing of strategies to improve bioprocess KPIs such as yields. This person will be directly involved in designing experiments, running bench-top and pilot-scale fermenters, generating and analyzing data, preparing experimental reports, and providing input on technical approaches to meet project goals. You will lead a team of more junior staff.
The position will require occasional shift work (e.g. evenings or weekends).
Who are you?
We are looking for an ambitious individual with a Ph.D degree in (bio)chemical engineering, Biotechnology, Microbiology, or a related field. You have a willingness to join a quickly expanding team on our journey from a small R&D company to a global leader within the biobased economy. 1-2 years of industry or industry-related project experience is necessary.
The successful candidate should have an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to take advantage of new opportunities and let go of things that do not work. Willingness to learn new things and the ability to critically assess new ideas is also important.
Required lab experience:
– Pilot-scale fermentation with different cultivation techniques, batch fed-batch, repeated, and continuous.
– Optimization of microbial cultivation media for high-cell density growth and high product yield.
– Downstream processing of microbial metabolites and polymers.
– Characterization of intracellular and exocellular microbial products.
– Online/Offline monitoring of microbial growth and products (spectroscopy, electrophoresis, and chromatography).
– Biomass pre-treatment.
– Cell-free hydrolysis reactions (e.g., protease, esterase, amylase, lipase, or cellulose).
– PHAs production from pure or mixed substrates.
– PHAs downstream processing.
– Statistical optimization of media for microbial cultivations.
– Process cost estimations.
– Management and supervision of project teams in designing and operating lab and pilot-scale fermentation experiments.
– Presentation and interpretation of results and project outcomes.
– Active contributions to improve processes and methods and evaluate the patentability of results.
The position is full-time. Salary depends on experience.